I thought it would be interesting and perhaps helpful to see how our new Peacock design came about. It is a good illustration of the process involved and how Dennis and I share the art.
A peacock is a spectacular bird and also has been very trendy in our market. So why not!
After I gathered reference I began to watercolor using my chinese brushes. I use them almost exclusively these days.
Just in case the tail didn’t come out right I painted it separately then added it to my bird.
When I showed my peacock to dennis he liked everything but the tail. The design of the feathers was kind of hodgepodge. Too exacting for my way of watercoloring.
So I repainted the basic colors of the tail as well as one feather. I added the lower part of the body to the tail. Now I had a headless peacock.
In the meantime I had repainted the tail and where it attached to the body and the start of the neck. The original Head was still separate and then that got attached. A bit like surgery.
The head got reattached and Dennis did a magnificent job of placing the feathers on the tail. We added type to the background and added blue poppies.
Blue poppies that I had previously painted. And added type to the background.
Texture and color were added to the background and we both agreed that our Peacock was completed.
And one for Dennis too!